Thursday, August 7, 2008

Zero Day(s)

The Olympics begin tomorrow. I'm extremely excited and I really cannot wait.

When I was seven years old, I took a martial arts class. The instructor or head (I seriously don't really remember who he is...) said that in 2008, they would be flying to China to perform at the Olympics. I remember how excited everyone was, but now, looking back, I don't ever think he really meant it. It really does not make much sense.

So, specifically, what will I be paying attention to? Definitely volleyball (since I play that sport), and swimming (since I also swim...), and gymnastics (since I just love watching that. It's always so fluid and beautiful whereas other sports- besides ice skating- is more about power and speed).


Pic of the Day:

Magazine: Fashion Rocks
Issue: 2008
Photographer: Steven Meisel
Model: Sasha Pivovarova
Featuring: Dhani Harrison

This picture is thrilling. Maybe not in an obvious "let's go on a roller coaster" way, but they look so carefree and happy and as if nothing would matter... even if some rabid squirrel were to come in and try to bite off a toe. After all, they are wearing closed-toe shoes. Alright, that wasn't funny.

I also love the styling in this picture. It's so absurd to ever think that anyone would wear a thick fur coat (which I am strongly against) in the dead heat of the summer. It looks like it's summer. The trees in the background still have their leaves (unless those trees don't shed? Is that the word?). I love how the stylist mixed such wintry items with such summery accessories (the hat).

update:
I was watching the opening ceremony, and it really blew me away. It was really quite fantastic, but I'm sure you all know that from watching it. But I have a question, if you were paying attention during the parade of the countries (or whatever that's called), they introduced this one guy from a country in Africa (I think. It might have been an island country) who learned how to swim nine months before the Olympics in Athens. He couldn't finish the 100 meter, so the audience cheered him on. Do you guys know what his name is? Or what country he's from? I'm trying to find out.

9 comments:

Jaclyn said...

I love watching the gymnastics, the floor routines and the balanace beam are my favourite. I also like to watch the swimming and the diving. It's so cool how high they can dive from.
Belle

yiqin; said...

Weirdly, my whole family is excited about the olympics! I like to watch gymnastics too! But Icannot resist soccer! 11 boys runner in shorts :D

Lexie said...

i love watching olympic gymnastics! i'm so excited!

Angela said...

i give it to these models, in the dead of winter they can look happy in swimsuits. i went to a photoshoot once for kids and felt really sorry for all the tiny models. it's 50 degrees and they are wearing summer frocks for photos.

Kelly-Ann Maddox said...

It's really in line with Hippie Hippie Shake coming out soon (Sienna Miller). Great shot - the photographe can be proud.

Anne Marie said...

gymnastics FTW!!

Mary said...

I won't lie... as a Canuck I'm more a fan of the winter ones. We will always kick hockey butt... muahah.

Ana said...

I love watching gymastics, its so intriguing. I also enjoy soccer because Holland is playing. :-)
And that editorial from Fashion Rocks was fabulous.

Richel said...

love your pic of the day. so beautiful.